Friday, November 24, 2006

Christmas music online! and the slipper pattern

<----Salt Lake Temple at Christmas

Good morning!
Guess what I ate for breakfast today? that's right... pumpkin pie and real whipped cream! It's my honey recipe instead of white sugar-- so yummy!

Ok- I found this Christmas music list online

http://www.christmas.fm/

There are some wonderful radio stations on there!!
We barely get any radio out here in the desert, so this is such a find for me. =)

**************************************
Here are the slippers as promised. Feel free to link to them and let your friends know about them as they work up really quickly. You can make a pair in an evening.

BEV'S WINTER SLIPPERS
(c) 2006 Beverly A. Qualheim -All Rights Reserved
Size H hook, use a G hook for kids
2 oz WW yarn
I used a single strand of Red Heart worst weight yarn, but you could make them warmer with a 2nd strand of sock yarn or fingering yarn. You could also make these a few rows longer for men. They stretch really nicely too. These fit women size 7-10

RND 1: Ch 2 then make 12 dc inthe 2nd chain from the hook. Join with a sl st to the top of the original ch 2. (12 sts)

RND 2: Ch 2, make another dc in same st as ch 3, 2 dc in each dc around. Join with sl st in top of ch 2 of previous rnd. (24 sts)

RND 3: Ch 2, make another dc in same st as ch 3, *dc in next 5 dc, 2 dc in next dc, repeat from * 2 more times. Join. (27)

RND 4 - 10: Ch 2, dc in same st, dc in each dc around including the very last one. Join.

Row 11: (back of foot and heel)
Ch 2, dc in same st, then dc in next 19 dcs (leaving 6 dc unworked) . You are now going back and forth.

Row 12-17: Dc in 2nd chain from hook and in each dc across, including the very last dc.

Slip stitch the heel closed, mathing stitch for stitch. Cut yarn with 4" tail and wave back inside the slipper.

Top
Add a contrasting color. Ch 2, and dc around foot opening. Join.
Rnd 2: Ch 2, dc in each dc around. Join.
Rnd 3: Ch 2 then alternate front post stich and back post stitch around.

Cut yarn with 4" tail, weave back and forth inside slipper.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hope you can make a few pairs for loved ones, and maybe for a shelter or nursing home this year.


^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

LEFTOVER TURKEY CASSEROLE
2 cups cooked turkey, cut up
2 cups cooked rice
1/4 cup diced green peppers
1 large onion, chopped
1 cup frozen peas
1 can (10 3/4 ounces) condensed cream of cream of celery
1/2 tsp seasoned salt, and shake of pepper
Spinkle about 1 cup grated cheddar cheese on top.
Preheat oven to 350°. Spray 11 x 13 casserole pan with PAM, and pour in cesserole ingredients.
Cook till bubbly and cheese is slightly browned, about 40 mins.

HUG THE ONES YOU LOVE!
Bev Q

19 comments:

Karen said...

Thank you for posting this pattern! I thoroughly enjoy your blog.

carolegsp3 said...

How about slippers to knit?

bevq said...

Here you go Carole!
http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/maggieslippers.html
http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/bevs-knit-cro-slippers.html
http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/bedsocks.html
(I'd love a photo to post of these if anyone wants to make them!)

HUGS
Bev

ldsvenus said...

Bev, I had to go out and buy some thread today at Joann's Fabrics and looked while I was in there in the fabric paint section. I found Tulip Puffy paint. :} So there is some at Joann's Fabric store, it might also be at Joanns.com. I was lucky I had my 50% off coupon with me :}, it's about $10 for a package of 6 different colors so I only had to pay $5 :).

bevq said...

Our nearest JoAnns is at least 50+ miles from here. We don't have any dept stores here. However, another reader told me about putting bathtub caulking on the soles and I am going to try that one =)

Thanks!!
Bev

Ann K. said...

I just finished 2 pairs of slippers to send out to you and low and behold I come here and there's another pattern! Looks like I'm going to be busy tonight. Do you realize how much I'm enjoying learning these these things, lol! My first slippers ever! My husband has even requested a pair! Thank you so much for all you do Bev!

bevq said...

That's wonderful Ann!! Thanks so much! I think you will love this new pattern as it whips up pretty quickly and you can do some fun things with it!

HUGS
Bev

Anonymous said...

WOW!!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH BEV!!!!!! I've been wanting to make some nice slippers for myself in the cold weather, but I haven't been able to find a quick, easy pair that didn't look tacky or gobble up any more of my precious yarn than it needed to. BRAVO! ENCORE ENCORE!!!! lol.

Taylor

ldsvenus said...

How do you apply (in what shape, lines across, lines up and down, dots?) the puffy paint? I put some on, but have not ever done that before and am not sure I did it right :P. Thanks

bevq said...

I think you can do it any way you want. I have heard of people just putting random dots on the bottom of the slipper, or even drawing animals etc.

I tried using the bath tub caulking as suggestions by one reader, but it washed out in the wash. Perhaps I needed to let it dry longer than a day?
Bev

Anonymous said...

Hi Bev;
I'm writing to thank you for your scarf pattern. I used it to make a for my grandma's 80th birthday, and it turned out so well that I made two tiny ones for my 2-year-old twin niece and nephew with the extra yarn.

I used the great directions
here to add fringe, too.

Thanks again!
Jami

nikkatlan said...

Thanks for the wonderful slipper pattern. They are very comfy and super easy to make. I made a pair for my daughters teacher and she loves them as well. After all, teachers need some warm fuzzys too!

ldsvenus said...

Do you need to make the paint puffy after putting it on the soles for it to grip on the bottom better? It seems pretty slick still when I just put it on the bottom. Sorry have never used anything on the bottom of slippers before and I am full of questions :P.

bevq said...

I have heard both ways, that you can just use regular paint or puffy. I have always ironed the puffy paint-- that was years ago mind you! I can't even find it near here.

I just ordered some Rug Backing 'skid proof' type stuff off of EBAY which someone told me works great! It isn't here yet though. Hoping soon so I can paint it on the bottom of all the slippers people have sent. They are all so wonderful and warm!

Bev

Anonymous said...

I love these slippers, and am making them for everyone this Christmas. For an older child I used the G hook as you recommended, but what changes should be made for an average size 8 year old girl? After Christmas I will be making some to donate. I also donate baby afghans.

bevq said...

Hi
For an 8 year old, you could use sportweight yarn or even baby yarn and an F hook. I don't really know as I haven't tried making them any smaller as I don't have little ones any more.

I always just experiment around and see what works. You may need one less row for the toe/foot part and for the foot/heel part.

Glad you are having fun with the pattern!! =)
Bev

Iteach4Him said...

Thanks for the wonderful pattern. I've made a few pairs and am wearing a pair now :) I do have a question, though. When the pattern says: "RND 4 - 10: Ch 2, dc in same st, dc in each dc around including the very last one. Join." Doesn't that add a stitch to the round each round? If it does, then in row 11 you'd have to dc in next 26 dcs if you were leaving 6 dcs unworked.

I've not been crocheting all that long so my reading of the pattern could be all wrong.

ramlynrose said...

Thank you for posting your pattern. I was trying to find a pattern to make some slippers the The Pink Slipper Project and you pattern is perfect.

Sara said...

Thank you for the slipper pattern..I love to crochet and i am goign to make my mom a pair in pink stripes, she is fighting Breast Cancer and her feet get cold in the chemo room. http://poshpoochdesignsdogclothes.blogspot.com/