Thursday, November 23, 2006

HAPPY THANKSGIVING and crocheted slippers

I hope everyone's Thanksgiving Day was sweet and good and filled with family, friends and food. We are so blessed living in this land. I have lived in other countries and this one by far is my favorite for it's opportunities, it's people, and the freedoms here. We are STILL waiting for the turkey to hit 165 F and I am HUNGRY!! It smells so good. Guess we are eating European style tonight.

I read so much of hatred of this country, and of the President and of no socialized medicine (believe been there done that one in England and you do NOT want it!) ... well complaints about so many things, you name 'em. I happen to love it here. I know my family is supposed to be here. There is much to be hopeful about in this country and I am thankful our family was brought here back in the 70's.

Having said that I will move on to the slippers I am working on for Red Cliffs in St George, Utah. I have 2 pairs done now.

One was just a crocheted rectangle and that folded in half and stitched into a slipper.
http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/slippers1.html

The 2nd pair however, I decided to create a new pattern modeled after a pair of slippers someone once made me. They don't look exactly the same, but they turned out nice and cozy. I am still working on writing up the pattern, but here are the slippers. And they work up pretty quickly too and I was thinking I could add pompoms too for fun! I will post more photos as I get more colors done.
I hope to get the pattern posted on here before too long too. It won't go on my website likely as I was thinking of saving it exclusively for here and for my book but I have not heard from back from my co-author recently about the publisher...

I am going to check the turkey one more time.

HUG THE ONES YOU LOVE!
BevQ

4 comments:

LDSVenus said...

Hope you had a great Thanksgiving day and that your turkey turned out well.

Yes, we have much to be thankful for in this Blessed country. Most dont appreciate it, they are use to the abundance we have and enjoy here, even our poor are so much better off and have no clue. But I know and appreciate the abundance our Father in Heaven has blessed us with and I know that there is no greater country in the world and I too am grateful to be a citizen and live here.

I may try to get a pair or two of slippers done for your cause, so much to do before Christmas and sooooo little time :P.

Have a blessed day.

Anonymous said...

hi Bev! we do live in a blessed country. i absolutely LOVE your site. i'm 12 1/2 years old and i know how to knit, crochet, cross stitch, and enjoy knitting on circular looms. i admire you for giving so many of your handmade things to charity! so sorry you had to wait so long for the turkey to be finished cooking, we had the same problem. that blasted little thermometer thing that comes in the turkey just about refused to pop up. but in the end it was delicious. it is so nice to come to your site knowing that i'll probably find some new wonderful pattern to keep myself busy with. thank you so much for sharing your knowledge of needlecraft with us all! :)

peace

Marla said...

Happy Thanksgiving a day or two late Bev! Great slipper pattern... similar to some I'd seen but not exactly. I like the plain ones esp for men and in ladies' colors for the ladies. Fun fur would be great for kids or adults but can't hardly see it on my 98 year old aunt!! LOL

Beth said...

I always look forward to opening my email and finding a message from you! I just fell in love with your slipper pattern! I printed it off and grabbed my yarn and made a pair at my fiance's house! (He was watching the football game!)(yes, I have yarn at his house too! hahaha) I just love them! Count me in to help with a couple pair of slippers for the Nursing Home. As a nurse, I know they are greatly appreciated! Keep up the great work! Hugs and Blessings to you!!! Beth in VA