Sunday, February 04, 2007

2 hats and the sweater!

I finished my 1-skein challenge for today! Got 2 hats made, although I ran out of yarn in the middle of the little one so had to start another skein. I also finished THE SWEATER!! I actually started at the top-- the sleeves so it's a bit different than my original one.

Bev's Top-Down Guideposts Sweater for a toddler
Gauge: 4 stitches = 1 inch; 8 rows = 1inch
Needle Size: US Size 9 ( mm) throughout

Back and Front (make 2):

Starting at the top (shoulders) With circular needles and main color, cast on 90 stitches. Knit for 5"
Bind off 25 sts. and knit across.
Bind off 25 more sts for other arm, and knit across.
Now knit for about 9"
(I did about 8" and then did a ribbing of knit 2, purl 2 for 6 rows) Bind off.

Now make another piece the same and then stitch the front of the sweater to the back leaving about 8" open at the top for the head.


It's all seamed up and the hats and sweater are in my box to send to AFGHANISTAN to our Baby-Project soldier Steve.

Church was wonderful today. I was really tired by choir time at 2 pm but I went anyhow. It was fast-Sunday, where we fast and pray for something or someone of our choice. I actually was fasting for a couple of people today and I pray it helps them.


HUG THE ONES YOU LOVE and make the most of each today you are given from God.

BevQ

5 comments:

Tammy said...

Good for you on finishing that 1 skein challenge! The sweater looks great,thanks for sharing your top down version!!! =)

Anonymous said...

Hi Bev, I love your website and your blog. I really look forward to seeing it in my email because I know by reading it, I will feel so good.
I have started on the sweater for Afghanian kids and I want to tell you how I am doing mine. With a circular needle I can do two at a time which I like to do. I start at the bottom and do the sweater all in one piece. I follow the directions until I get to 4 1/2 inches on the sleeves and then knit 25 stitches and bind off 30 stitches (for the neck) and knit the rest of the 25 stitches. On the next row, I knit the 25 stitches and cast on 30 stitches over the bound off stitches, making sure to stretch them out the length of the bound off stitches and knit the rest of the 25 stitches.(I am doing this sweater all in knit, I thought it might be a little heavier that way). Then you just continue across the sleeves for 4 1/2 more inches. Bind off the sleeves and finish the body of the sweater. By doing it this way, you have very little sewing together to do and then crochet around the neck, sleeves and bottom. You have two sweaters done at once time and you can use different color yarns or make them just alike. It's just as easy for me to do two as one and I feel like I accomplish more that way. I do the same with hats and slippers. You may not care for this way but I just thought I'd let you know another different way. I thought of it when I saw your pattern starting at the top instead of the bottom of the sweater. I love this pattern because it's a no brainer and you can take it and knit anywhere you go without having to think a lot about what you're doing. Thanks for this wonderful site. Keep up the good work. God Bless. Hugs, Phyllis

Anonymous said...

Is there a way to change knit patterns to crochet? I would really like to make this sweater.

bevq said...

Hi
Actually, if you go to the actual Guideposts sweater pattern page on their website there is a crocheted version to download.

http://www.dailyguideposts.com/help/sweater.asp

And I am also going to work on my version in crochet!

Bev

Barbara said...

Dearest Bev, I love your newsletter, website and blog! I'm busy knitting and crocheting winter garb for family and friends. I've vowed not to buy another thing until I finish up some of the ones I have in progress. That being said, I am itching to get one of those looms and make up some of the little dolls and slippers for our local shelter/ food kitchen. Your faith in Jesus warms me, He is the center of my life also. My religious beliefs are different but we both end up at the same place. Love and prayers to you all and especially to you, Bev!