Today's reflection on giving thanks


Good morning!
I know Easter is just around the corner, not Thanksgiving, =) but I find that Easter is a perfect time to express deep, eternal thanks to the Living Christ, who not only suffered for all of our sins in Gethsemane, but also endured beatings and humiliation and finally died upon the cross at Calvary. All this so we would not have to go through that pain, if we would just come unto Him.

What does it mean exactly to 'come unto Him?'

To me it means, being humble, repentant and teachable, learning of Him and His ways, having faith in Him, and then striving to become like Jesus in all of our ways, living as He did, treating others as He did.

Is it a one time thing? We just tell Him, "I'm sorry and I want you to forgive me, and come into my heart. I want to be saved."

No...

Becoming LIKE Christ, takes a lifetime and beyond.

Learning of His ways, obeying them and living them, then becoming that person who always sees others through Christ's eyes, takes a lifetime and beyond. Daily we all commit sins and do not obey, and daily we must fall to our knees, ask for forgiveness, repent and strive to overcome the natural man. It is not something you can set a date on, that suddenly you are a 'Christian' and that's it, you're done.

We must walk His walk, talk His talk, and think His thoughts, always striving for our Heavenly Father's will to be done and really meaning it. In the Bible in Matthew 5:48 we are commanded to:
"48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect."

Later in 3 Nephi 12:48 (Book of Mormon - Another Testament of Jesus Christ) we read, and note the difference:
"48 Therefore I would that ye should be perfect even as I, or your Father who is in heaven is perfect."

Christ appeared to the Nephites in the Americas after His death and resurrection! He had completed His work on the earth, and had an immortal, resurrected body, and was thus 'finished' or 'perfected'. So He includes Himself in that scripture. What glorious hope that can bring us. We CAN be perfected through Christ who has overcome all things. We cannot do it on our own, but we can through Him. He is our Saviour on so many levels.

As I was walking this morning in the early morning dark at 5:30 am with my 2 pooches, I was able to verbally express my thanks to my Heavenly Father for His Son, Jesus Christ. I was able to thank Him for the ability to walk and see the stars still glimmering above me and hear the early morning birds. I thought to myself, how many things I forget to thank Him for each day, and vowed to do better. I want to see through Christ's eyes. I know He lives, and He can help me see others the way that He sees them. It has happened many days when I have prayed for this opportunity.

Yesterday, I was brought to tears once more as I watched 'The Testaments of One Fold and One Shepherd' over at my friend Joye's home. We watched together as He walked among the people's of the Americas, healing their sick, teaching them His Gospel as he had taught the people in Jerusalem. The Native American's are descendants of these great people who once lived in this land and the lands of South America, who witnessed Christ coming to visit them, His 'other sheep' .

John 10:16
"16 And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd."

I have 'First Nation' blood running through my veins, through a gr gr gr gr... grandma (back in the 1600s) whose name was recorded only as 'Indienne Micmaque'. How I long to know more about her. Who was she, I mean her real name. Did she love to weave baskets or do other crafty things like that? Did she love to sing? Did I inherit those talents partially from her? Did I get my dark hair from her? Likely not my very blue eyes, but who knows?? =)

-----------------------------------------------------------

On to Crochet type things...
I finished a pair of mittens to enter into the FAIR coming up in a few weeks, and then to take to Women's Conference in Provo May 3,4 th! Yeah! I need to make another pair for exhibiting in the Humanitarian Booth area.

I am working on my daughter's graduation Ripple Afghan slowly. She graduates next year, and I can't stand the thought, but eventually they all fly away from home I guess.

I have my adult religion class this morning in a hour and I need to hang our laundry before then, so I'd better get busy.

Thanks to everyone who posts comments on here or gives me good ideas to help others. I appreciate and love all of you. Have a beautiful day and remember to make the world more beautiful for someone else today too...

HUG THE ONES YOU LOVE

BevQ

Comments

Popular Posts