Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Anyone want to make more chemo slumber caps, or kids slippers???

<------Chemo slumber caps for RELAY FOR LIFE this past April. My good friend Georia Hall lost her precious little 2 yr old grand-daughter Madison, to childhood cancer, a couple of years ago. She is dedicated to helping those children who are going through treatments right now, and since she is a crafter, she came up with an idea to make Christmas better for these kids. I told her I would try and get her some help. You guys were so fantastic sending Chemo Slumber Caps for our Relay for Life event here in Moapa Valley this past April, and since they really are fun to make, I thought some of you would like to make a couple more for this project. Ok- here is her idea... she is putting together 100 buckets for kids of all ages, but especially 2 - 12 years old. Her dream is to fill those empty buckets with 'goodies': She needs 100 of each: * 100 Chemo Slumber cap - made in Simply Soft - need to be made using my pattern please, with that white strip.
* 100 pairs of kids slippers - small and medium most needed - age 2T through 12 yrs
* 100 Little stuffed animals like little beanie babies or handmade teddy bears, bunnies etc.

Georgia is also adding a little notebook, crayons, pencils, glue stick, hacky sack etc. to each bucket-- we already have 100 of each of those items, but we need the handmade ones.

If you would like to help, you can send items by November 1st, 2007 to:
Georgia Hall
PO Box 1461
Logandale NV 89021

You can email Georgia too: mumbag at (replace with @) mvdsl.com.

If you can help that would be fantastic! I have started making slippers, and got a pair nearly done on the way to and from the dentist this morning in St. George, Utah. I am going to start a slumber cap tonight when I am done with the slippers.

Here is an updated, hopefully, more accurate pattern of the soft slipper pattern- will fit kids from 4 - 7 as it stretches.

-----------

CHILD’S Incredible WINTER SLIPPERS

(© Beverly A. Qualheim 2007)

Size I hook

3 oz of worsted weight yarn

RND 1: Ch 2 then make 12 dc in the 2nd chain from the hook. Join with a sl st to the top of the original ch 2. (12 sts)

RND 2: Ch 2, make another dc in same st as ch 3, 2 dc each dc around. Join with sl st in top of ch 2 of previous rnd. (24 sts)

RND 3: Ch 2, dc in front posts of each dc around. Join with sl st in top of ch 2 of previous rnd. (24 sts)

RNDs 4 - 10: Repeat round 3

Row 11: (back of foot and heel)
Ch 2, dc in same st, then dc in the front posts of the next 18 dcs (leaving 6 dc unworked). Ch 2 and turn. You are now going back and forth. (20 dcs)

Row 12-15: Dc in the same stitch of the ch 2, the front posts of each dc across, including the very last dc. (20 dcs)

Flip slipper inside out and slip stitch the heel shut.
Slip stitch back up the heel inside, and then slip slipper right side out again. Join at the middle back with a slip stitch and ch 2.

Top
Dc around evenly around foot opening. Join. (22 dcs)
Rnd 2: Ch 2, front post dc in each dc around. Join. (22 dcs)
Rnd 3: Ch 2 then alternate front post stitch and back post stitch around.

Cut yarn with 4" tail, weave back and forth inside slipper.
------------
And another pair - these are knitted.

Bev's Knitted Slipper Clogs
(© Beverly A. Qualheim 2007)
(3.5" tall, and 6.5" long) They will stretch too
Size 10 knitting needles
1 - 2 oz Caron Wintuk yarn or other 4 ply worsted weight yarn
yarn needle

Cast on 26 sts (30 for larger kids)
Knit 36 rows (44)
Then knit 2 sts together across next 2 rows
You should have 6 sts left
Cut 10" yarn tail, thread onto yarn needle.
Gently remove the 6 remaining sts from the knitting needle and pull to gather.
Fold slipper in half and stitch seams together about half way down towards heel, leaving enough room for foot to fit in opening. Back stitch 4 sts and cut yarn.
Now stitch heel seam shut, back stitch 4 sts and cut yarn.
-----------------------------------------

CROCHETED slipper clogs
(© Beverly A. Qualheim 2007)
Size H hook and 4 ply ww yarn
Chain 28

Sc in 2nd chain from hook and in each one across, ch 1 and turn
Sc in 2nd sc from hook and in each one across, chain 1 and turn
Do this till you have a square, then crochet 2 sts together at beginning and end of row

For the next 3 rows. End off with long tail yarn, thread onto needle, weave in and out of sts at top of slipper, pull tight, fold slipper in half and stitch down half way. End off, Attach yarn at heel and stitch heel shut.

--------------------------

Thanks for any help you can give! HUG the ones you love!
Bev

21 comments:

Wool Winder said...

I never know the best way to contact you. Just wanted to let you know I responded to your question about the Lacy Hat in the comment section of that post. Hope it helps.

Tracy
http://woolwindings.blogspot.com

bevq said...

Thanks Tracy,
I will try to sl st purlwise. I am not certain what the difference is. Maybe I am adding wrong! Would not be the first time. I am finding I really need to concentrate to get this pattern moving.

I need to have a whole evening, several hours with no distractions to count right. I will take a photo of my hat and post it on that page, but it sure doesn't have those nice long loops like yours does.

Practice makes perfect.

For anyone who wants to knot, this is the pattern we are discussing.
http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/sandras-hats2.html

Tracys looks gorgeous, mine is -ehhhhh...
Bev

Yvonne said...

Hi Bev,
Do you know what date Georgia wants the items by? I emailed her but haven't received a reply yet. I have lots of generic beanie babies and am working on the slumber caps.

Yvonne

bevq said...

That's fabulous Yvonne, thanks! I think if you can get them here by November 1st, that would be wonderful so she will have time to get the buckets all put together.

Bev

Yvonne said...

I've made a chemo slumber cap using the red KK and it will fit a younger child but I don't think it will fit a 10 to 12 year old. Should I als be making some caps using the green KK which is a bit larger?

Yvonne (again)

bevq said...

Hi Yvonne,
Both sizes are needed, yes! And thanks for helping. Please be sure to send them to Georgia Hall before Nov 1st. THANKS!!! I got a pair of slippers done in a SS green and I am doing a pair in Red Heart Red today. =)

Bev

Anonymous said...

Great! I'll do the hats and you do the slippers ;-).

LadyM said...

Bev,

With the "crochet" version of the slippers, are you meaning to do "fp", or "front loop" for the "
front post" ?? I'd love to make slippers for the buckets !!

*hugs*

LadyM

bevq said...

Hi
I am not even sure what a front loop is. The slippers you are crocheting with that pattern loom like the hand knitted ones, not the loomed one.

Basically, crochet a square, fold in half, gather toes, stitch half way down, and stitch the heel shut. That's it.

Hope that helps, and I answered your question. =)
Bev

Yvonne said...

Oops. I said I'll do the hats and you do the slippers but forgot to put my name there.

LadyM said...

Bev,

I think I finally figured out the "incredible" slippers (it was "front post", not "front loop"), but since I tend to hold the piece differently, I need to know if the "front post" side is supposed to be the "right side out" ?? I have several skeins of the "Simply soft baby brights" left, so I was thinkiing of using them for the slippers, too, besides worsted weight yarn... :)

The "front loop" I was talking about before is the "top" of a stitch- eg. ) "Front loop only" or "back loop only").

*hugs*

LadyM

bevq said...

Hi!
I've done them both ways-- but in the photo the front post side is the outside.
Bev

Yvonne said...

Sent Georgia 39 beanies and 2 chemo slumber caps this past Friday. :-) Will work on more caps.

Lulu said...

What no crochet hat patterns?

bevq said...

Hi Lulu
For this particular project we only want LOOMED hats in Simply Soft or other VERY soft yarns, so the hats are not thick but good for sleeping.

Crocheted hats would be too thick, we need lightweight for these children.

Thanks though.

If you want to make other crocheted chemo caps, not slumber caps there are many patterns on my website:

http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/cancercaps.html

Bev

LadyM said...

Bev,

On the "crochet slipper clogs", are you meaning to "increase" or "decrease" when you get to the "Crochet two stitches together" part ??

Also, what size slipper would that pattern make ?? I'm hoping to make slippers in different sizes, but I haven't a *clue* on what size would fit a 12 yr. old ???

*hugs*

LadyM

bevq said...

Hi Lady M
When you crochet or knit 2 sts together you are combining them into one stitch, so it's a decrease.

Also, I gave those slippers away last month and don't have them here-- seems like they would have fit an elementary kid size.

12 year olds vary so much. My 12 year old wears a size 9 womans shoe!

She has her mamas feet!

I have a size chart on this page that might help. Mostly keep making them till they nearly are long enough for the foot you need, and then finish-- cos they stretch to fit

http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/size-chart.html
Bev

DebsCrafts said...

Bev,
On your first slipper pattern I hope you mean repeat row 3 for rows 4 - 10. Otherwise these slippers I'm making are going to look really odd.

Deb

bevq said...

Yes indeed!! That should be repeat round 3, and not rnd 2. I have changed it but I have that pattern posted in many places so I need to make sure I have that corrected in all of them!!

Thanks so much for letting me know.
Bev

Mae said...

Bev, I made 2 pairs of slippers and then had some problems and did not get them sent out to Georgia. Can she still use them? If so, I can get someone to mail them at the end of the week. If not, I will find another place for them. Thanks.

Mae

bevq said...

Unfortunately, Georgia moved about a week ago and I have no way to contact her.

Perhaps take them to a local hospital? Shelter?

Bev