Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Kindness Begins with Me in 2009


There is a wonderful song in the LDS Primary Children's Songbook called: "Kindness Begins With Me". Here is how it goes.


"I want to be kind to everyone
For that is right you see.
So I say to myself, remember this
Kindness begins with ME."

It's short but contains profound truths.

If we want love, kindness, happiness, and peace to spread around the world, it HAS to start with US, with you, with me. One thing I have learned in my 50 years on this planet is that you cannot expect others to make you happy, to bring peace or kindness into your world or to change the world for good. You can only take on that task yourself.

In the past 12 years since I have been on the internet, I have noticed that the opportunities for being kind and doing good things for others has increased greatly. The internet has brought the world closer to home.

I think of the 120 people, or so, who used to subscribe to my newsletter "Country Cottage Penpals" way back in the late 80's and early 90s. And I remember how few patterns I could afford to print in each issue, how few places/charities I knew of who needed help, and how seldom I could update and communicate with my readers. What a blessing the internet is!!!

Jackson, my little grandson has brought such joy into my life. His precious personality filled with love and goodness, just fills my soul.

His mom and dad have to live so far from us and I miss being near him, seeing him grow and learn and love. I don't know when I will see him again.

I am dedicating the items I make for humanitarian this coming year, to Jackson. Grandma loves you little Jack.

Tomorrow is a new day, a new year! Let's all make the best of each day, and make 2009 the best year for Humanitarian knitting, crocheting, kindness and reaching out to others!!! We can do it!

If you have a goal you want to set for 2009, an area of kindness you want to improve in, or start in, please post it in our comments section here. I'd love to hear from you!

Mine is to make 500 items for UMC Hospital, newborn hats, booties, whatever I can get done for them. It's a big goal but I was able to make 500 pairs of booties a few years ago, so I can do it!

HUG THE ONES YOU LOVE!
Bev
http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/umc-needs.html

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The internet has indeed made so many wonderful things possible. Today I was e-mailing my best friend a missionary in Thailand. She will be home in Sept, and said she would love anything to take back with her for the refugees, orphanage, etc. So my goal is to see how many baby quilts I can get made before she leaves again. Instead of buying Christmas gifts this year and sending them back to the states, she used the money to buy warm blankets that she took to a mountain village. Hugs,Louise Z. in eastern Wash

Helena Harper said...

I have been reading a lot of articles about kindness lately and what it has inspired me to do is to look out each day for little acts of kindness I can do for others - like the other day when I was walking into the supermarket and I saw a mother trying to lift her young child into the trolley, but she was having difficulty doing it, so I just said, 'Shall I hold the trolley for you?' and she was very grateful.

And another goal is to be more like my sister, who is one of the kindest, most generous people I've met:

'a humble, compassionate soul
instinctively in touch
with her nature purely divine,
a privilege indeed
to call her a sister of mine.'
(excerpt from my book 'Family and More - Enemies or Friends?')

Thank you for posting this article.

Helena Harper
www.helenaharper.com
helenaharpersblog.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I have started to knit for a goup called Cuddles in the north of England. This year my daughter and her husband had a baby boy Adam who was born sleeping. I hope to knit, crochet and sew as many things as I can ths year to repay all the thoughts and kinds my family as recieved from others.

Yarnmomma said...

I thoroughly enjoy reading your blog as I have for a while now. You are such an inspiration to me. I have neglected my poor yarn this year and I make a pledge to make more and give away more. There is so many in need in this day and time. I can't say I'd be able to make my number of 500 (my that is so awesome but I will do my best). Bless You and have a happy 2009.

Thank You,

Yarnmommas in Missouri

Cedaracrelady said...

I caught your blog today from a link on my home page showing crochet stuff which inspires this beginner. I have a Grandson born June 2007 he gets a sister in May 2009. We seem to have a bit in common. Have you heard of MaryJaneFarmGirl magazine. It reminds me of you.
Suz

Snuggies said...

What an adorable picture! That being said, yes, the internet is an amazing tool for bringing down barriers and enabling communication. Kudos to everyone who takes the time to provide for the less fortunate. You make the world a better place one quilt at a time!