Moments in life

I'm a bit, not sure of the word, right now... reflective perhaps?

Last week two of our valley's beautiful young women, seminary students here, juniors at Moapa Valley High School, died in a car accident on the way up to LDS Girl's Camp. My heart ached... I could barely let my own daughter go up to the camp the next day. It was a totally random accident, a tire that blew out and the car flipped over. Random. But not in God's eyes. I know those girls were greeted on the other side of the veil by so many happy people who love them dearly.

Today, I attended a funeral for another young person from our valley. This for a young man with a beautiful baby girl. So much sadness... Sadness for those left behind to mourn his untimely death. But joy in the messages of hope given at his memorial-- messages of the great Plan of Happiness, of Eternal Families, of Hope in the Resurrection and in the Atonement of Jesus Christ.

These two weeks have caused me to think about family, about life, about living every single minute in the best possible way. To repent and do better. To love more. To give more. To be more. In fact, to be more like my Savior. I have so far to go...

We are here on this earth for a blink in Eternity. What are we doing with that 'blink'? Are we constantly striving to be better, to love others more, to do more for others, to not be so concerned with worldly accolades and things. To be happy with what we have been given in this life and not constantly searching for more and 'better' stuff.

Thomas S Monson said this about death ~ “May We So Live,” Ensign, Aug 2008, 4–9:

"Death eventually comes to all humankind. It comes to the aged as they walk on faltering feet. Its summons is heard by those who have scarcely reached midway in life’s journey, and often it hushes the laughter of little children. Death is one fact that no one can escape or deny.

Frequently death comes as an intruder. It is an enemy that suddenly appears in the midst of life’s feast, putting out its lights and gaiety. Death lays its heavy hand upon those dear to us and at times leaves us baffled and wondering. In certain situations, as in great suffering and illness, death comes as an angel of mercy. But for the most part, we think of it as the enemy of human happiness.

The darkness of death, however, can ever be dispelled by the light of revealed truth.

“I am the resurrection, and the life,” spoke the Master. “He that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:

“And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die.”

This reassurance—yes, even holy confirmation—of life beyond the grave could well provide the peace promised by the Savior when He assured His disciples: “Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This life is hard. Jesus knows. He was here. He lived and died for each one of us. He knows how to help us when we turn to Him. He CAN heal our pains. I am thankful for that sure knowledge.

Life is so beautiful too.
Just look at my little grandson Owen.

Last week was his baby naming and blessing and we were able to be there. I am so very grateful for my family and the love they share. Thankful for those precious grandsons.

Life is short.
Make the most of each moment.

I love this Hymn
Have I Done Any Good?,” Hymns of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, no. 223

Have I Done Any Good

Have I done any good in the world today?
Have I helped anyone in need?
Have I cheered up the sad and made someone feel glad?
If not, I have failed indeed.
Has anyone’s burden been lighter today
Because I was willing to share?
Have the sick and the weary been helped on their way?
When they needed my help was I there?

[Chorus]
Then wake up and do something more
Than dream of your mansion above.
Doing good is a pleasure, a joy beyond measure,
A blessing of duty and love.

There are chances for work all around just now,
Opportunities right in our way.
Do not let them pass by, saying, “Sometime I’ll try,”
But go and do something today.
’Tis noble of man to work and to give;
Love’s labor has merit alone.
Only he who does something helps others to live.
To God each good work will be known.

Text and music: Will L. Thompson, 1847–1909, alt.




I am hoping in the next few weeks to share some of the deep joys that can be found in this great journey we call mortality. There are many.

HUG THE ONES YOU LOVE!
Bev

Comments

Popular Posts